Below are some of the questions you’ve asked us, but if you’ve got a question that remains, please don’t hesitate to contact us for a quick response.


Why do I need travel insurance?

Medical care, hospitalisations, cancellations, lost luggage—your holiday can expose you to a lot of unwanted expenses that quickly add up. With travel insurance you can relax knowing that if something does go wrong, you have cover. You wouldn’t drive without car insurance, so it makes sense that when travelling interstate or overseas, you protect yourself.

How do I make a claim?

You must give notice of your claim as soon as possible by completing a claim form and sending it to the address shown on the claim form. You can download a Claim Form here.  Or, if you would like to speak to someone, please call us.

What documentation is required to process a claim?

You may be prompted to send us original documents, such as reports or receipts. Typically, these documents are requirements, and we are unable to action your claim without them. Each type of insurance claim that you can make may require a different document (for example, medical report, invoice, receipt, police report). We will always advise you of any documents required for your claim assessment.

What if I need emergency assistance?

As a Travel Insurance Plus customer, Allianz Global Assistance* is only a telephone call away for emergency assistance anywhere in the world at any time. The team can help with medical problems, locating nearest medical facilities or embassies and consulates, your evacuation home, as well as keeping you in touch with your family and work in an emergency.

If you are hospitalised, you or a member of your travelling party MUST contact Allianz Global Assistance as soon as possible. If you do not, then we may not be able to pay for these expenses or for any evacuation or airfares that have not been approved or arranged by Allianz Global Assistance.

If you are not hospitalised but are being treated as an outpatient, and the total cost of this treatment will exceed $2,000, you MUST contact Allianz Global Assistance.

Please note that we are unable to pay for any hospital or medical costs which are incurred in Australia.

Allianz Global Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Please have the following handy:

  • Your policy number.
  • A contact number for where you are now / the name of your hotel or hospital.
  • The nature of your problem.
  • If you are ill or injured, you will need to provide details of medical consultations you have had.

If you are in one of the countries listed below, simply dial the number shown for that country:

Australia 1800 662 522

Canada 1800 214 5514

China (North) 10 800 6100434

China (South) 10 800 261 1323

France 0800 905 823

Germany 0800 182 7635

Greece 00800 611 4107

Hong Kong 800 900 389

India 00080 0610 1108

Indonesia 001 803 61 098

Italy 800 787 451

Japan 0066 3386 1052

Malaysia 1800 81 5102

Netherlands 0800 023 2683

New Zealand 0800 778 103

Singapore 800 6162 187

Spain 900 996 115

Switzerland 0800 561 361

Thailand 001 8006 121 082

United Kingdom 08000 289 270

United States 1866 844 4085


For all other countries, dial reverse charge (“collect”) via the local operator on +61 7 3305 7499.


*Allianz Global Assistance is one of Australia’s leading suppliers of travel insurance and medical assistance. The Allianz Global Assistance Australian headquarters are located in Toowong, Queensland. The purpose-built Global Response Centre is an environment that operates 24 hours, 365 days a year, and is supported by sophisticated telecommunications and information technology systems. The Allianz Global Assistance team consists of in-house specialists including doctors, registered nurses, aero medical experts, mechanics, property experts, legal advisers, travel experts, support personnel, as well as access to multilingual staff and translation services.


What if a part of my holiday is cancelled?

Depending on the plan you purchased, you may be able to claim for the cost of replacement flights or accommodation needed during extended delays.


When should I buy travel insurance?

You can purchase your insurance as soon as you pay for a deposit, accommodation or flights. If you’re a frequent traveller, our Multi-trip Cover can be purchased for a whole year’s worth of travel (subject to no trip exceeding the relevant maximum trip duration you select). It only takes a moment to purchase your insurance online, and in minutes you can be covered.

Can I extend my travel insurance policy?

We understand that sometimes travel plans change. If you’ve decided to stay a little longer, please contact us before your policy expires. Cover will be extended subject to written approval and your payment of the additional premium. You will then be issued with a new Certificate of Insurance. Please note that some policies do not allow extensions.

Alcohol and claims—am I covered?

Common sense still applies to overseas claims. If alcohol is a factor, you may not be covered.

Are children covered?

Yes, if your children or grand-children (under the age of 25) are travelling with you at all times, then they are included in your family cover. Learn more about our Family Cover here.

I’m a senior citizen—can I get cover?

Our standard cover is available to all people 74 years of age and under. If you are 75 years or over, please contact us to discuss your options.

I have a pre-existing medical condition—can I get cover?

If you select ‘Yes’ to ‘Pre-existing medical condition’, our online pre-existing medical assessment will take you through the process. You can also check the definition of pre-existing medical condition in the PDS to see if you have a pre-existing medical condition. If you are still unsure, please contact us.

I travel with expensive ski equipment. Can this equipment be covered?

Our optional Snow Pack provides cover for the things that are unique to the snow, like your equipment, hire fees and even avalanches! You can learn more about our Snow Pack here.

My wife and I love to go on cruises, but I’m always worried about the expensive outfits we pack. Do you cover formal wear?

Yes. Our Cruise Pack provides cover for your formal wear if it is lost or damaged, or if it is delayed, misdirected or misplaced for over 12 hours from the time you boarded the cruise vessel and you need to purchase or hire replacement formal wear.

We’d like to get travel insurance, but with three children, we’re not sure we can afford it?

Our family cover allows you to cover your family for a single premium, and if your children under 25 years of age are travelling with you, they’re covered as part of the package. To find out how much, get a quote now.

I’m a backpacker, and I only want cheap travel insurance—can you help?

Our essentials cover is exactly that; the essentials to cover your basic travel needs. While we don’t use the word ‘cheap’, we do offer a fair price for quality cover. We think it’s less than you’d expect; but you can find out  here.

What isn’t covered?

Like all insurance policies, cover is there for genuine mishaps and misadventures. It’s about common sense. In order to keep our policies affordable and fair, there are some things we simply won’t cover:

  • Pregnant? While that is excellent news—and we wish you all the best—we don’t cover you for giving birth overseas. It would be wise to chat with your doctor before travelling to check that this is unlikely.
  • Daredevil? Good luck with your career in stunts, but there is a difference between doing something that unfortunately ends in an accident, and doing something that will likely end in an accident. Stunts, reckless behaviour and obvious physical risks are not covered.
  • Rebel? James Dean would be proud, but we don’t cover any claim that comes from an illegal or reckless act.
  • Trustworthy? We are happy that you feel you can place your trust in strangers, but leaving your possessions in public areas, placing your phone on tabletops or counters, lending your jewels to your new best friend, are the types of trusting activities that you won’t be covered for.
  • Alcohol? Yes please! We all love a drink or two when we are on holidays, but if alcohol is a factor in your claim, it may mean no benefit is payable.
  • Not one to take advice? When a travel warning has been issued, it might be time to cancel your trip. If you choose to go, despite the warning, you do so at your own risk, and you will not be covered.
  • Easy Rider? It’s easy to look at the locals and decide you want to be part of the free-wheeling action that comes with a scooter or motorbike, but if you haven’t got a licence, you haven’t got cover. And if you do have a licence, but decide that helmets are holding you back, just know that without them, it’s likely we will hold back your claim.

We want you to be safe, so when packing for your trip, please make sure you take your common sense with you.