Exploring New Zealand’s magnificent landscape and thrilling activities will keep you constantly entertained.
Travel Insurance for a New Zealand adventure is recommended.
Especially as many Australians pre book accommodation, tours and adventure activities. It only takes one cancellation and you are out of pocket.
New Zealand Attractions – Just a few
- Drive from Christchurch to Queenstown via Lake Wanaka it is simply stunning. Along the way you will be spoilt with a snowcapped mountain backdrop and pass aquamarine lakes and quaint villages. Lake Wanaka is 45 kilometres long and covers 193 square kilometres, the crystal clear waters of Lake Wanaka are perfect for jet boating, sailing and for kayakers to explore. The lake is nestled amongst towering mountains and Wanaka is one of the most scenic lakes in the South Island.
- In winter, Australian skiers flock to Wanaka and Queenstown for great skiing and snowboarding at Cardrona and Treble Cone plus heli-skiing high in the Harris Mountains. There’s also plenty of enjoyable off-piste activities and delicious wine tasting at local vineyards.
- Skiing, paragliding, jet boating, bungy jumping, fishing, sailing, hiking and day spas make Queenstown a must see. There is a healthy nightlife and some outstanding restaurants. Queenstown is picturesque and if you venture up to the peak via the Skyline Gondola, not only will you enjoy amazing views but you can paraglide, toboggan or gondola back down. Queenstown is magical in winter and an outdoor wonderland in the warmer months.
- Explore the West Coast and its amazing rivers, rain forests and glaciers. A visit to the French settled anchorage of Akaroa is a great place to lunch and relax on the foreshore and not far from Christchurch.
- Hamilton-Waikato is well-known for its underground wonders, black sand surf beaches and rolling green hills, this region of New Zealand offers a wealth of nature-based activities and attractions surrounding the vibrant city of Hamilton. The Lonely Planet guide states that “the city’s main street has sprouted a sophisticated and vibrant stretch of bars and eateries that on the weekend leave Auckland’s Viaduct Harbour for dead in the boozy fun stakes”. If you’re a Lord of The Rings fan, drive east to Matamata and visit the Hobbiton Movie Set, the Hobbit-sized village created for the movies. Or if surfing is more your style, then Raglan is the perfect spot for you, with one of the longest left hand breaks in the world.
- In the beautiful Bay of Islands you can take a boat cruise, swim with dolphins, dive, fish or just relax in the sun. Be sure to visit Waitangi Treaty Grounds. You will not be disappointed with this region.
- Rotorua abounds with Maori culture and boiling mud pools. In winter hot springs are a great experience. This area also has some of the best trout fishing in NZ, with lakes and small rivers providing ample opportunity to catch dinner.
- Lake Taupo is another stunning destination. The lake is actually the size of Singapore! You must visit the Craters of the Moon to see geysers, steaming craters and boiling mud pools. At some of Lake Taupo’s beaches, swimmers and paddlers can enjoy warm, geothermal water currents. Just north of Lake Taupo you’ll find New Zealand’s most visited attraction, the magnificent Huka Falls.
Getting around NZ
The following information is sourced from www.newzealand.com/au/getting-around/ with links that provide useful information.
Your choice of transport will depend on how quickly you want to get from A to B. The site provides a travel calculator to work out travel times and distances.
Self-drive a rental car or campervan on one of the sites recommended New Zealand road trips, or take a bus or coach if you want to let someone else do the driving.
For travel between New Zealand’s islands, hop on a plane or ferry. Daily flights are available between domestic airports. Several passenger and vehicle ferries offer services between the North, South and other islands.
Travel Insurance For New Zealand adds some peace of mind
When on a trip always be prepared for the unexpected. Travel Insurance Plus offers a range of covers for overseas travel; we have insurance packages for singles and families, for one-off trips and frequent travellers. We also understands that quality cover at a fair price is what matters most.